Pre-Incubation - Dilmun Star Program
Based on field research and experience, BFI found that many fashion designers and would be fashion entrepreneurs lack requisite product development skills and basic business acumen to launch their products and develop their brands. The Dilmun Star program is conceived to address these issues by building the capability of budding entrepreneurs to create commercially viable products and launch their business with confidence.
- To challenge the status quo and pick potential fashion startup candidates with ideas that could go global. They will work in a competitive setting with predetermined themes.
- Increase awareness of issues that impact the fashion industry today and influence
- consumer behavior and educate participant about important subjects in the fashion such as innovation, technology, and sustainability.
- To showcase Bahrain as the hub for creativity and fertile land that produces not only local or regional talent but international brands for the future.
The Dilmun Star is a 7-month competitive program. During the program, BFI will mentor, train and equip 20 fashion designers to produce innovative capsule apparel collections applying one or all of the following themes:
The program stages are illustrated as the following:
Idea & Design Assessment
Produce Gold Sample
Size Set Sample
Define Production Sample
Develop Sales Sample
The program participants will be offered:
One on one mentoring by expert fashion and product designers
Daily access to tools, 3D printing technology, machinery and equipment
Daily access to experienced technicians
Access to raw material sourcing
Focused workshops and seminars to develop technical capability and business
knowledge to be conducted by design masters, experienced fashion, media and
business consultants reputed international academic institutions and organizations.
Master classes and workshops that address different topics in fashion are offered as part of the pre-incubation program for free and are open to the public for a fee paid in advance.
Assessment of participants creations to be conducted by a panel of esteemed judges in the world of fashion, marketing, retail and technology
Participants will Pitch their creations at Pitch Fashion model
Experienced market buyers will assess pricing and positioning compared to the market.
Final Selection of top three winners to be celebrated at VIP Gala Dinner
Participants will be recognized for completion of the program and can continue on to the Designer in Residence incubation phase.
- Come up with a new and unique idea with market potential
- Hold a degree in fashion or fashion-related field is preferred but not required
- Applicants with work experience in highly entrepreneurial, customer order
fulfillment, and/or service-focused industries are also strongly preferred
- Bahrain residents
- 18 years of age or older by the application deadline date
- Ready to start a business in fashion and able to obtain a commercial registration
- Able to commit to the BFI program including a minimum of 20 hours in the studio during Sunday – Thursday business hours
- Attend scheduled one on one mentor sessions, seminars, and BFI media events, info sessions, and programs
- Fill out the application form
- Complete an interview with Bahrain Fashion Incubator Representative
- Submit BD 500 deposit fee towards the program to be refunded upon successful completion